The Bass is seeking an experienced teaching artist to provide arts-integrated curriculum for the STEAM Plus program working with Miami-Dade County Public Schools(M-DCPS). You will report to and work in close collaboration with the Education Outreach and Special Programs manager to create curriculum, deliver lessons, and support K-12 partnered schools participating in the STEAM designation process through interactions, field trips, and exhibitions/showcases.
About STEAM Plus:
Beginning in October 2021, the City of Miami Beach Commission and Mayor Dan Gelber, in partnership with the Miami-Dade County Public Schools System (M-DCPS), has provided yearly funding for the STEAM Plus program, which integrates arts and culture into the core curriculum of local public schools. The Bass manages all partnerships between cultural anchors and Miami Beach public schools, which alleviates pressure on school administrators and provides essential support to ensure schools can attain M-DCPS STEAM designation. The partnership between Miami’s cultural institutions and public schools aims to inspire future generations of inventors, explorers, innovators, artists and leaders.
By engaging students around the subjects of Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math, the STEAM Plus program aims to spark an interest and life-long appreciation of the arts and sciences in children from an early age.
STEAM Plus serves participating schools in earning a M-DCPS STEAM designation through interactions that expand on STEM topics by incorporating the Arts. The program follows a strict rubric to earn points for the designation through partnership interactions, showcases and exhibitions. This program exposes many students to museums and world-class institutions.
Official STEAM Plus Website: https://www.steamplusmiamibeach.org/home.
Last year’s program impact and survey findings can be found within the 2021 – 2022 Final Report.
The STEAM Plus Teaching Artist will develop, prepare and teach foundational development courses designed to support all elements of STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math) and partnered with M-DCPS. The ideal candidate should be inclusive, knowledgeable, and articulate in art- making practices and materials, and The Bass’ mission of “creating connections between international contemporary art and the museum’s diverse audiences”.
- Developing and implement 6-12 unique visual arts/STEAM lessons with age-appropriate instructional methods per partnered school
- Motivate students to think about the subject critically and to actively participate in the educational STEAM process
- Create a positive and engaging environment for student learning and involvement
- Evaluate effectiveness of course curriculum and adjust instruction and materials as appropriate
- Maintain, take inventory, and organize art supplies in your car, home and museum
- Mount and display student’s work for exhibitions at the museum for STEAM Plus culminating event
- Maintain appropriate standards of behavior, mutual respect and safety
- Be an ambassador for The Bass/STEAM Plus and represent the organization positively among teachers, administrators and the community
- 3+ years of experience working with K-12 students
- Experience in the assessment of student learning outcomes
- Passionate about teaching school-aged children in public school settings
- Experience teaching structured art classes that combine artistic technique with personal self- expression
- Well-versed in instructing in materials, including acrylics, watercolors, drawing, charcoal, pencil, pastels, and mixed media supplies
- Syllabus development, lesson planning, and project implementation based off of Florida and M- DCPS standards
- Maintain a safe and supportive atmosphere
- Highly organized and flexible
- Ability to work collaboratively with K-12 teachers and assistant teaching artists
- Excellent classroom and behavioral management skills
- Above par communication and emotional intelligence skills
- Maintaining and growing a student following and returning students
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Available to work during school hours, Monday – Friday
- Bachelor’s of Fine Arts, Art History, or Digital Arts or related experience as a practicing artist
- Experience in the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) fields
- CPR and First-Aid Certified
- Level II background clearance with M-DCPS
- Google Suite (Google Drive, Google Docs, Google Slides, etc.)
- Previous experience working with Apple products
- Inclusion strategies for all ages and abilities
Salary: $26 an hour
(Includes professional development opportunities, training, lesson planning, preparation and clean-up. This role is often accompanied by an Assistant Teaching Artist. All materials are provided by The Bass).
The Bass Museum of Art is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, sex, age, national origin, creed, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or political affiliation. To apply, please send cover letter, resume/cv, and artwork examples to [email protected].
Please include “Interested in STEAM Plus Teaching Artist” in your email subject.
Please, no phone inquiries.